Wednesday

John 10

7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

The culture of that day clearly understood the art of herding and shepherding sheep.  Therefore, Jesus spoke in terminology that the people clearly understood.

I am the door … only through Jesus Christ can man be saved.        Acts 4:12 states - Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. 

Life presents man many doors through which we may choose to enter.  God made us free moral agents to make the chose of which door to enter.  What will be our logic in determining the plan of salvation (the door)?  Will it be family tradition, society approval or what the Bible clearly defines as the only door to salvation, Jesus Christ.

Jesus then clearly defines a good shepherd in verses 1-18 of John 10. 14I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.  Jesus not only knows HIS sheep but also HIS sheep know HIM.  It is not important that we find approval of man, society or culture, but it is important that He (Jesus Christ) knows us and we know HIM.  Is Jesus one of the members of the trinity to you or is He God manifested in the flesh.  John 8:24 states - I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.  To Moses, God was the 'I am'.  To Abraham, God was the 'I am'.  Then Jesus declares that he is the 'I am'.

The Jews took up stones again to stone him.  Not because of Jesus' good works but because he (Jesus) being a man, maketh himself God.  John 10:33 - 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Today and everyday, men let us make sure we are hearing the voice of our good shepherd (Jesus Christ)!

Bob Gougler