Thursday

Psalm 18

Being chased by your enemies, like David experienced? By Saul? The Cush? Maybe even your own son?

In this Psalm, I relate in a personal way. As I am sure we probably all can.

First in verses 1-3, The way it starts off, is the same way I start my prayer and my praise, I can’t think of a better way. I love you, O Lord, my strength. He is my rock, my shield. He is worthy of all my praise. I draw my strength from him.

Verses 4-5&6
Many times I have been in a situation and couldn’t see my way out, completely overwhelmed by circumstances where I had no control. But having the confidence in knowing the Lord hears me when I cry out for help, that he will deliver me, gives me a sense of peace. The Lord has delivered me so many times. Thank you, Lord!

Verses 7-15.
When we rely on God, any “situation” or “enemy” we are dealing with, will tremble at God’s Might and Power. How wonderfully David describes God here, I can just imagine in my mind’s eye the incredible way God uses his Strength to overcome what comes against us! The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry. The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.

Verses 16-19
What a great way to describe just how God does rescue me(us), when faced or confronted with something to big for me to deal with! Out of his love, He will intervene. He rescued me from my powerful enemy from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. … he rescued me because he delighted in me.

Verses 20-24
Here David states why God has delivered him, from this we should take note how we must conduct and model ourselves and our lives. The Lord will “deal” with us according to our actions, and the way we live. And knowing the great reward that is before us is truly worth it all! The Lord has dealt with me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.

Verses 25-29
These verses show me that through faith, humility and purity- God rewards us! That having faith I know he will turn my darkness into light. With faith, and His help all things are possible! You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.

Verses 30-45
In these verses, David reiterates the way God strengthens and enables him. I too, know with God on my side I can accomplish anything, overcome any situation. It may not happen today, but as long I keep my faith, continue to seek him, I can overcome. I pursued my enemies and overtook them…You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet.

Verses 46-50
As David did in the beginning of this Psalm exalting and praising God, He ends it with Praise. Every day we should begin our day Praising God and end it with Exaltation to Him. Thanking God for the victory in which we in Him. Not just to ourselves, but to everyone we know. The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior! Therefore I will praise you among the nations, O Lord; I will sing praises to your name.

Larry Birchfield