Wednesday

Philippians 1

Compassion!!! If there is one central theme to the first chapter of Philippians it is the example of compassion, Paul, this wise soldier of the cross, who is nearing the end of his race, not only talks about, but exhibits as he opens his letter to the church at Philippi. Paul, torn between two worlds, heaven and the saints at Philippi, talks about how much he loves them and offers prayer for them continuously, also recognizes this is no one sided relationship; the Philippians love him equally. Chapter one is an awesome testimony to a pastor's burden and feelings for the congregation he oversees. 


Through the first eight verses, Paul talks of his love and prayer for, and the desire to see, those in Philippi.  In verse nine, Paul adds he specifically prays for one thing: "that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment, that you may approve things that are excellent, and that ye may be sincere and without offense … being filled with the fruits of righteousness."   I like how this passage is translated in The Message:


So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.


Our culture has placed done its best to redefine LOVE as "Sentimental Gush." Here Paul informs us that there is more to love than just some warm fuzzy feeling that prompts some mindless action, but that true compassion is not only sincere but drawn from sound conclusions that prompt a holy life. I am amazed every time I read in the gospels where Jesus was moved with COMPASSION, action always followed.   No, the action, sometimes, wasn't what I expected (Matt 9:35-38 (the command was to pray that the Lord would send harvesters)) but it was always perfect, sincere and drawn from sound conclusions.


I am challenged by this passage to awaken myself from stagnant love to COMPASSION for those around me: my brothers and sisters in Christ, the lost souls around me and those who have maybe fallen away. I was challenged in my spirit during my prayer time yesterday morning to pray, especially, for those who have known Jesus in the past, but due to circumstances and battles of life, maybe were left on the battlefield for dead and are now bitter and hurting; and for myself that I would be ready to minister when the Lord placed someone in my path. We must pray for them, yes; but when our fervent prayer becomes fruitful, we must be moved with compassion because God will put them in our path; and we will need the knowledge and wisdom of God to help them heal.


God, grant us the wisdom and knowledge to live COMPASSIONATELY; to reach beyond what will make us feel good, and take appropriate action so your will (that no one should perish) is fulfilled.

Proverbs 2:1-11


Jason A. Mathews