Friday

1 Corinthians 13

I Corinthians 13 is known as the Love chapter.  To summarize it in one sentence: If I do not have or show love, I will completely fail at whatever I try to accomplish.

When Jesus was asked by the lawyer, "what is the greatest commandment?" he responded, Love God and love your neighbor.  Later we find Jesus commanding the disciples in John 13:

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

The Greek word we translate into our word, Commandment, found in these scriptures, comes from two Greek words combined together; one meaning, "the place where motion begins," and the other meaning, "The limit at which things cease to be (in regard to state or act, not motion)."  In other words there is no room for arguing; it is necessary we love God, those not like us, and one another.  Love is the catalyst that makes all things possible. 

Here in this chapter we learn two things: It doesn't matter what I do, say, or what my gifts are, if I do not or cannot show love, the other things do not matter; conversely, there are times when my actions are taken for granted, misunderstood or fail, my knowledge comes up short, and my gifts do not seem to be adequate, Love will not fail!

R.E.A.L. men, Love. Be patient and kind, not jealous, boastful, proud or rude. Do not demand your own way or be irritable. Keep no record of wrong. Do not be glad about injustice but rejoice whenever the truth wins out.  Never give up or lose faith, always be hopeful, and endure through every circumstance.  Remember it is our command.

This is where all things begin and end (and there is no room for discussion):  Love dearly, approve of, sanction, and be contented with God and the things of God, his counsels, interests, things due to him, whatever can in any respect be likened unto God or resemble him in any way (because you belong to Him); Love with all the vigor and sense of your physical life and the seat of your soul; Love with all your thoughts, passions, desires, appetites, affections, purposes, endeavors, understanding, feeling, desiring, spirit, way of thinking, will of your character.  Love your neighbor and your brother …. Like R.E.A.L Men.

Jason Mathews