Monday

1 John 2

There is much meat in this chapter that is rich in imagery, anointing and truth. Penned in John's "straight up" style of talking, this chapter uses love as it's ink and sandpaper as it's parchment. John does not mince words as he boldly asks us the question that every disciple had to answer.  "Do you know about God or do you know God?"

John gives us the answer in verse three as he states, "hearby we do know Him, if we keep His commandments". But if you look back at the moment of truth in every disciples life, you will see what John was trying to convey.

In Matthew 4:18-21; 8:22; 19:15-21; 9:9.  Mark 2:14.  Luke 5:24-27.  John 1:45.  You see grown men in the middle of their normal daily routine.  Some say that the disciples already knew Jesus prior to their calling so they had a working knowledge of what kind of a person He was. They had heard Him speak and obviously had a deep respect for Him but when that moment came what did Jesus say to them?

Did Jesus say , " Only do what I say? " No, Jesus said, "Follow me." In other words don't just do what I say but do what I do. It was the walk of Jesus that people loved. When the woman anointed and kissed the feet of Jesus, she was saying, " Hey, I've seen this man not only does He have power in word but He backs it up everyday with the utmost integrity."

Every step that Jesus took was filled with prophecy and purpose. He walked in love, humility, joy, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness and faith. That's exactly what we have been called to. If we memorized every scripture in the Bible and became the most revered scholar, yet we could not walk as Jesus did, we would be a liar. Although I agree, John said it, not me.

This chapter ends with regeneration and I praise His name for that chance to regain the favor of the only wise, living God. While there is much in this chapter that could be explored deeper by men more qualified than myself, for me, I never really made it past verse six. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked."

I am very grateful that God placed me in a truth teaching church, with such great pastors and leaders to learn from and all I really desire is to learn from the Master as I walk with Him and learn to walk as He did.

Robert MacPhee Jr